Friday, June 15, 2012

PIZZA! && The Ghost of Davy Crockett

So before I start this post I want to share an amazing story with you. Unfortunately for now I serve tables for a living. There are goods and bads of course and usually the good out weigh the bad or else I wouldn't choose it to pay my bills..for now. But last night was just one of those nights...every server knows...when it seems like you work your tail off for a table, they are incredibly nice and engaging and so fun that you give them way over the top service...WAYYY over. And then you grab their check binder curious as is to if they are average or 20%ers..and you're taken back, shocked and confused because they prove to be complete douche bags and tip you 3$ on their 145$ tab...now it's in that moment that you wonder if they don't like having their drinks constantly full, food hot and out in a timely manner, being entertained by their server and being treated like royalty...or if they are just completely rude, cheap people. I guess we will never know. But I do know I did my job, well and they are just ridiculous. Well this mornin' I see an ex co-workers, Christina's, post on Facebook about someone who tipped .38 on a 74.62 tab just to round the credit charge up to 75.00...and there were about 20 comments going back and forth about bad service and tipping and all kinds of mumbo jumbo. Of course being the good Facebooker, and server, I am... I put my 2 cents in about my cheap tip last night and something happened that has never happened to me before...
The ultimate random act of kindness or pay it forward act or just simple good hearted gift giving love language type act, whatever you choose to call it happened to me. TO LITTLE OLE ME! And it made my day, in fact it inspired me.
A friend of Christina, John Montgomery, a complete stranger to me...I have never met, heard of, or seen this guy in my life, engages in my story and this is what happened....

And I now have a 30$ gift card for pizza. And all I can say is THANK YOU 
John it is people like you that make this world so intriguing and wonderful. You have great character and the philosophy of giving that I thought was completely lost and I appreciate you. Best wishes to you and your family. And I pray the time comes and I can return the favor in some creative way.


OKAY! AND NOW FOR PLACE #2 I GET TO CHECK OFF!

On my trip to Texas Hill Country I had the opportunity to cross off another place in my book. Page 717 The River Walk in San Antonio, Texas.
Of course I've been to the river walk multiple times considering I lived in San Antonio for one semester of college...and the only semester I actually enjoyed I might add. UTSA was a great experience and I highly recommend that school for anyone thinking about it. The Honors College was incredible and very good to it's students, I got to meet with the dean frequently. 
So anyways enough of the collegiate talk.


After the night we spent in Gruene we couldn't decide if we wanted to go to to 6th street in Austin or head to the River Walk in San Antonio. We were about the same distance from each one. Any normal 21 year old would have chosen 6th street...especially since I have never been there. I was really excited and wanted to go experience this. For those of you who don't know 6th street is supposed to be the crazy bar hopping party scene of the wild and crazy city of Austin. The motto is "Keep Austin Weird". Like I said I have never been, only heard stories....but for whatever reason we chose to go to the river walk. The decision was okay with me because I knew it was in my book and even though I have been there before I wanted to go again to make it an official visit for my journey.
ya, car rides.

The River Walk or Paseo del Rio, began in 1938 as a part of "The San Antonio Beautification Project". Since then the 2.5 mile river walk has evolved into one of Texas' most popular tourist attractions. The walk is absolutely beautiful. Covered with tropical foliage, the giant cypress and palm trees, along with the flowering wonderfulness create a delightful scenic walk.  Lined with restaurants, bars, shops, and hotels the bustling area proves to be a good time both during the day and for night life. If you choose, during the day you can take a river tour ferry complete with expensive pictures and a bambling tour guide...one of those very touristy things that I'm not into at all. I'd rather do my own research, find my own adventures, and meet with the locals and hear their stories.
 Buuuuttttttt if you're into it, when you visit San Antonio grab your camera with the neck strap, the off grey t-shirt you bought at the airport that says "SAN ANTONIO TEXAS" with a hibiscus flower in the middle, or possibly your flowering button up Hawaiian t-shirt, your white new balances OR velcro sandals ( don't forget the tall white socks with those), cargo pants, fanny pack, pull out the map with the little red stars and captions, and brown sunglasses with a black safety strap that goes behind your head and please by all means jump on the ferry and get your tourist on....in fact buy a key chain for me while you're at it.

My favorite restaurant along the river has to be Casa Rio. It has great Mexican Food, moderate prices, and a great atmosphere. And I always get great service. This time we were there pretty late so we had to find something open...Dick's Last Resort was the winner. This restaurant is always fun because of the intended rudeness and crude humor of the wait staff...I don't recommend it for your kids 9th birthday party but if you're looking for a interesting adult dining experience, go here.  They are in most major US cities. We had a couple drinks, nachos, and an epically hilarious waiter. 


After Dick's we wanted to hit a club...unfortunately we had picked up some under age 20 yr old boys...don't ask me why it WAS NOT my idea to keep them around...so we had to find and 18 and up club..lame. 
Well we ended up at the Bonham Exchange right behind the Alamo
and yes....
it was a gay club.
or "USE TO BE" is what I was told.
But none the less definitely still had some of the "use to be gay club" crowd
Granted I had a great time. There were many rooms with different themes and the dance floors were large with a high class club atmosphere, cheap drinks, and great DJs.
But I was definitely looking out...no matter how drunk you get me the LAST place I want to find myself is in the middle of a lesbian drunkeness extravaganza
that's just not me.
if that's your thing...then more power to ya and I love you for who you are 
but as for me, I'm not into it.


I don't know who decides to go to the Alamo at 3am...
well actually I do, we do. And I am telling you right now I saw the ghost of Davy Crockett...still holdin' down the fort like a loyal Texas Revolution soldier. I don't know if he was waiting on the ghost of Santa Ana to come back so he could beat him once again or what but he was there...
in a security guards uniform, in stealth mode, quiet and on the look out with arms folded, back against the tree, right leg up lookin' like a flamingo, at the door of the Alamo. He was not gonna let a group of random, crazy, possibly drunk, young kids at 3 in the mornin' do anything stupid to his beloved Alamo. All he did was give us the death stare and I was spooked. With a stare like that there's no way the Mexican army had any chance back in 1836 at the Battle of the Alamo. Not to mention I also saw his buddy William B. Travis inside the walls posted up keeping watch out the probably 10 foot high window...with a stare just as piercing. True soldiers still keepin watch over their Alamo!
Look closely you can see Crockett posted up on the tree

 If you don't know the story of the Battle of the Alamo...google it. It is was a huge victory for the Great State. And if you claim to not care because you're not from there or don't live there..then read about it anyways...America's history would have been completely different without the annexation of Texas and without this victory that would not have been possible.

San Antonio has a lot to offer. SeaWorld, The Magic Time Machine Restaurant, Six Flags, Tower of the Americas, San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo, a zoo, Alamo Bowl, HemisFair Park, it is also home to the NBA's San Antonio Spurs (GO MAVS!), and many more. It is also driving distance to many other great places. When you go visit definitely read up on the history because that's what this city was built on.

2 down 998 to go!

P.S. 
Keep checkin' up on the blog I will be posting some great Cali adventures soon along with some plans for the journey. And if you like what you read...re-post! Thanks!




3 comments:

  1. You made it sound like I'm a nice guy or something... that's weird.

    I think that's just how karma works... The deserving receive, and the rest can pay the tab. Purpose or coincidence put us in the same place at the same time, and our numbers were drawn.

    I guess you could call it kindness or paying it forward or whatever... I myself can't say for certain. Something inside told me to do it, and who am I to question that? I wasn't trying to make friends, or make people like me or think I'm a good guy, or whatever. Someone did you wrong, and someone needed to pay. I'm glad I was there and in a position to help you revive your faith in human beings. We're not all bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well whatever you call it it was awesome and appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After doing it, then seeing your blog and what you're doing with your time and life right now, I'm thrilled I could be a part of that experience. Here's to safe travels, hospitality, and more free food!

    ReplyDelete